Dry Ice Safety Instructions
Disposing of dry ice
To dispose of dry ice, simply leave it in the box in a well ventilated area, ideally outside, until it disappears. Depending on the amount of dry ice you have, it may take a day or two for the dry ice to fully disappear.
Give yourself and your dry ice some breathing room.
Dry ice emits carbon dioxide (CO2) gas as it sublimates, which could cause suffocation (death) in an enclosed space with no ventilation. Always make sure you use dry ice outside or in a well-ventilated area. If you're in the car, store it in the trunk and roll your windows down. If you're in a room, make sure a window is open. Never be in an enclosed space with dry ice and no ventilation.
Never touch dry ice directly.
Dry ice is -109.3°F (-78.5°C). Touching it for more than a few seconds could seriously irritate your skin. Always wear insulated gloves, use tongs or wrap your dry ice with an insulating material while handling.
Don’t eat or drink dry ice.
The human body is not built to digest dry ice. Never eat dry ice or drink anything with dry ice in it, and keep it away from your skin and face.
Don’t store dry ice in an airtight container.
If gas can’t escape, pressure will build inside the container, leading to a potential explosion.
Only use dry ice under adult supervision.
Keep a watchful eye and make sure the kids stay away from it.
Do not dispose of dry ice in areas accessible to the general public.
Leaving dry ice in a shared hallway or other public areas will put others at risk of contact burns with the substance. It may also cause a build-up of carbon dioxide, creating an oxygen-deficient atmosphere. Always store or dispose of dry ice somewhere inaccessible to the public.
Never dump dry ice into the trash or down a garbage chute.
Dry ice needs to evaporate in a well-ventilated area. A build-up of carbon dioxide vapor in a confined space could lead to an explosion, making it very dangerous. Always avoid disposing of dry ice in a garbage can, dumpster, or down a building's garbage chute.
Do not flush dry ice or try to wash it down a sink.
The extreme cold emitted by dry ice can harm your toilet parts and pipes. Avoid trying to dispose of it in the sink as you might regular ice, which melts easily. Similarly, flushing dry ice down the toilet may seem like a fast and easy way to get rid of it, but you will likely cause lasting damage to your plumbing system if you do so.